Friday 27 July 2012

How To: Make A Doily Brooch Display





Doilies can be re-purposed in so many ways. Check out House of Humble's great article on many ways to re-purpose and upcycle doilies. One example is to pop a doily into a timber embroidery hoop and hang it on the wall. These doily hoop art pieces also make a great way to store and display brooches. It is super easy, and rather effective, in my opinion.

Materials:
  • Crocheted doily
  • Timber embroidery hoop that is slightly smaller than the doily
  • Bias binding or ribbon that is slightly less wide than the width of the hoop
  • Fabric glue
  • Scissors
Method:

1. Put the doily in the hoop and tighten the screw, making sure the doily is centred and tight across the hoop.


2. Cut off any excess doily, but leave enough width that the remainder will fold over the back edge of the hoop and sit inside the back of the hoop. 

3. Fold the raw edge of the doily over so that is sitting flat against the inside of the back of the hoop all the way around the hoop.

4. Spread fabric glue on the wrong side of the bias binding and press against the raw edge of the doily on the inside of the hoop, making sure the actual raw edge is covered. The glue stick to the timber through the doily holes.


5. Attach brooches to the front of the doily hoop art and voila!

I plan to use mine for as a way to display my brooches at markets. But I also made two smaller ones out of matching doilies for my brooches and earrings to hang on my dresser.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I love that you are thinking of commenting on my blog. Please do! I love comments :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...